4/5/08

Novice Latin US Dancesport

Here's a clip from one of my first competetive ballroom dance competitions!

My partner, Xavier, and I, had been taking private lessons from a coach at BYU for three months before this competition. We'd had a samba and rumba (shown here) choreographed just for us. During our practice, Xavier received several black eyes from my wandering elbows, and I feel between his legs during a lower-body lift.

Our first competition round began at 8:05 in the morning, and Xavier called an hour before it started saying that he'd been throwing-up all night with the severe stomach flu. I told him if he could stand, he'd better be next to me in line! I'd rented a dress, applied disgusting amounts of tanning lotion, applied fake fingernails and eyelashes, and wansn't about to stand on the sideline watching our peers dance without us!

He came, and sat on the ground with his head down until right before we went on stage. While we danced, I could feel his hands shaking while he led me in different moves... nonetheless... we competed!

No comments: