8/6/08

God is in this Ant: Evolution

As a scientist, I've dedicated many nights to studying my personal views on evolution. I am a hearty believer in Darwinian natural selection (notice the distinction from evolutionary biology), as I've seen abundant examples of it in my own life. I believe that accumulation of hereditary traits over centuries enhances species toward being more adept at accommodating to their specific lifestyles. I'm a believer in phenomenological progress to enforce adaptability.

Paralleling these beliefs, I also believe that man was created by God. The great crux of evolution for me has become the purposes endowed for the created. If an ant was created by God to be a biological scavenger, then could the natural evolutionary selection of ants--their increased abilities to move, carry, and scavenge-- simply be greater progress toward the purposes for which God intended its existence?

If this is the case, then the man's duty is to conform to biological natural selection in becoming what God intended for humanity--a better steward over this earth, a greater man of God, etc.

No comments: