9/28/08

I Cried

I cried today, for the first time in months:
quiet tears, slipping unnoticed
into lines of leftover smiles.
I didn't try to stop the pain.

I did not heave, nor even
prostrate; just sat still and watched
the sunset warp, colors of brilliancy
mix with the dark of the mountains,
until my view passed into night,
dotted distantly with sparks
of sorrow.

I was calm, passionately hurting
against my will, on fire. Each tear would
cleave me, dropping on the ground,
splattering, soaking up as the blood
of the earth. I have not cried for so
long.

I thought about honor and propriety,
ideals, restraint; I started to walk slowly
making sure I touched the whole
of my foot against the dirt, feeling
quiet. So few tears in such a forever
time.

I wanted to question, show fight;
display what I knew I could be
but wouldn't be; roam in a false reality
of lust, deceit, and laughter: take
and take and take. Yet, somehow

I knew I loved
God greater than I wanted to
be loved by anyone, or heavier
than I wanted to hurt anyone,
and stronger than I wanted to
be independent.

So I wept, bolstering tears,
strangely silent still, and smiled,
driving their liquid path over
my lips and down my neck,
onto my chest,

then knelt and prayed to God.

2 comments:

Whosyomatty? said...

Wow, I am not sure how you do it, but you have expressed so beautufly what I have been, felt, and struggled through so many times in the past. The depth of your awareness and the inoscense of your soul are at once both humbling and beautifuly attractive, like the Rose whose aroma and perfectly displayed petals compell me to stop take notice inhale and admire the truth nakedness and vulnerabilty on display. I cherish such honest expressions and thank you for being true to the woman you are to the woman you want to be.........

Joe and Kristin Family said...

Lise,

What a work of art. Thanks for sharing. I like the part that alludes to your trust in God being more important than your independence.

Joe