12/1/08

Define: Glory of God

The Latter-day Saint cannon has a well-known scripture which is often referred to define the glory of God (Moses 1:39),
"This is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
In Mosiah 4:11 I've found an alternate and parallel definition that means a great deal to me:
"...that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that you should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God..."

Here the glory of God is equated with: goodness, love, and the ability to give the remission of sins. Now that's glory if I've ever seen it properly defined :). The best part is yet to come... (Mosiah 4:12)
"...humble yourselves to the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come... I say unto you that if ye do this... ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you..."
So, if we do what is required, we'll have experiences (most likely unequivocal and customized) where we'll learn firsthand of God's goodness, love, and His ability to remiss our sins.

1 comment:

Whosyomatty? said...

as per usual you have elucidated well the beauty of the 'good news' thank you!