2/14/09

The Faces of RAH

I am quite overwhelmed during this writing. I find the bestowal of such an experience as sacred in the fullest capability of the word. I spent several hours this week interacting and dancing with handicapped persons, member of 'RAH.'

Th BYU Ballroom dance team hosted and dinner and floor show event for about 75 people with mental and physical handicaps. I sat with them, hugged them, got them drinks, held their hands, danced with them, and laughed heartily and joyfully.

The following is a collection of pictures from the event- some faces are a bit messy with food or dressing. This is not meant in any way disrespectful, I simply tried to document the moment. They are so beautiful to me.

Many of the special ones are superior in many ways. They, too, are in a life
of progression, and new things unfold for them each day as with us all. They
can be extraordinary in their faith and spirit. Some are able, through their
prayers, to communicate with the infinite in a most remarkable way. Many
have a pure faith in others and a powerful belief in God. They can give
their spiritual strength to others around them. -Pres. Faust (Ensign 1894, pg. 54)


This woman loved to dance. She would 'shake it' as best she could, wiggling up and down with each of her partners.


I told her that she had the most beautiful eyelashes, and that I was quite jealous- because I was! Look at them!

After our first introduction, she would look for the the whole night. She came and sat next to me while I took pictures, she would bring her food to where I was, and she held my hand as much as she could. I made sure to wink and smile at her as I danced.


This lady had some sass! Her pigtails (over which I duly commented) were the light of the party.



At left is Paul, who was the most vivacious smiler. I got him several drinks of rootbeer :). Right is a man after my own birthday- literally! We had the same birthday, and when he found out, he kept screaming until four or five of his friends came over to partake of the excitement.




Pictured at left is the face I would pick, over all faces, to show true joy. Her smile was a permanent grin, and she never shunned for laughter. I couldn't help but laugh, and laugh, and laugh. I love her.



This gentleman was my first dance partner, and the first person I spoke to. He loved to go for walks in the mountains, and likes to look out his windeow at the beautiful Utah scenery.

There was no better way for God to humble me- I still cry even looking over the photos. I was amazed- oh, amazing grace- at the intensity of love, acceptance, and purity. These people were strong, noble in beauty, and irrevokable blessings. I thank, on my knees in solitude, that such I tasted of such a kinship. Heaven will be peopled with these blessed and exalted beings. I have no doubt of it. My only hope is that I can enter into their caste, with the humility and purity they so exuberantly display. God bless the pure in heart.

No comments: