4/30/09

On Perfect Will

This is not an expose on the numbing grace vs works debate. Just a random little thought.
"And now I, Mormon, speak unto you, my beloved brethren; and it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, and his holy will, because of the gift of his calling unto me, that I am permitted to speak unto you at this time." --Moroni 7:2
Apparently there are three fundamentals which permitted Mormon to speak: first, grace; second, God's holy will; third, Mormon's calling. Is that not interesting- grace, will, and calling? They seem inseparably intertwined in the same type of nebulous mash-definitions like faith, hope, and charity.

Using the basis that God embodies all perfectionisms, is even in attribute and temperament, and views with a clear eye all things, God's will and grace be functionally the same. Assuming that nothing could be done if it wasn't God's will, i.e. no action or reaction would occur if it wasn't approved first by God, then all actions and reactions are God's grace.

A quick elucidation-- I feel that if I fall short of an aspired mark of excellence, God's grace becomes necessary. In this way, the gap between performance and expectations is filled by God's grace. It seems the only logical way of meeting the demands required of both performance and justice. But what if, perchance, it is God's will that I do fall short of an aspired mark of excellence?

What if I want to run a marathon in a certain amount of time, say two hours. For some reason, I am unable to complete the task. Unbeknown to me is the complication, that had I crossed the finish line at exactly two hours, I would have been hit by a runaway train (plausible, I know). Therefore, God's will is exhibited by his grace of holding me back from that marathon finish line.

Is it then so, that God's will determines the allotment of His grace?

1 comment:

Whosyomatty? said...

hmm I must say you raise a very good question as to how responsible God is for what happens I believe it is organized chaos. he starts it then steps back up to the point of faith and initiative on our parts.... yet he sees the end from the beginning so does he interfere or does he report thru prophets the future before it happens as a way of warning and if so what was the true lesson of Ninevah?