"...Deny not the gifts of God, for the are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit o God unto ment, to profit them (Moroni 10:8)."I was struck with a simple principle of acquisition. What is the difference between seeking and coveting?
If we are 'seeking,' like we've been admonished in the Thirteenth article of faith, we are discerning toward those things which will enhance us- things which are virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy. I love the broad spectrum encompassed by those four little adjectives, especially the last: praiseworthy. There are a great many things which are praiseworthy.
Essentially, if I'm perusing a student ward and find something praiseworthy, and I want it, am I coveting or seeking? Pretend I notice an especially socially affluent woman who communicates with delicate ease; or another woman who is in peak physical shape. I wouldn't mind either social affluence or beauty, who wouldn't? Naturally, after encounters with things which we desire, we are motivated to action. Is suck seeking bad? I believe the method by which we acquire our desires determines whether we are coveting or seeking.
First, we know that seeking isn't a bad thing. Second, we know that coveting is.
If we assist to acquire our desires via the network set up by the Lord, we are 'seeking.' We could say, in a sense, we are seeking a spiritual gift, and the way to attain such gifts is easily outlined. Moroni teaches that "...all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will (Moroni 10:17)." We seek first the Spirit of God which gives us access to all things created to profit us. It's that easy. Seek the Spirit of God through obedience and covenants, and we are told we will receive gifts, several of them.
If we desire social communication, we secure it through inhabiting the Spirit. If we desire fitness, we secure it through receiving the Spirit. Maybe our social prowess will be founded on a genuine concern for the welfare of others, or stem from our own, quiet, self confidence. Potentially, we could be motivated into better caring for our bodies by understanding their intrinsic purpose to our eternal welfare. Maybe, just maybe, we could come to all things we desire through the Spirit, and thus have them everlastingly.
2 comments:
Hey friend,
Busy lives means being incommunicato, and although it doesn't follow your recent posting, I thought I might make the effort to share. Knowing you to also be a quote connoisseur, I thought you'd appreciate, my latest acquisition.
"But one of the worst results of being a slave and being forced to do things is that when there is no one to force you any more you find you have almost lost the power of forcing yourself."
- C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Horse and the Boy
;)
Per your posting FFT - Food For Thought - Could it be that what distinguishes coveting and proper seeking or desire, is the timing and meaning we place behind the object of our conquest. If inappropriate to the purposes of the Plan of Salvation and therefore not expedient to the miracles Christ would realize in our lives could it then become coveting, where as, seeking, means looking for it, at the right time, place, manner, and for the right purposes. Could it be said that Simon coveted the power of the Priesthood which Peter demonstrated? Acts 8:18-24 Mange(French) away!! :)
Given that the scriptures tell us we'll be given the desires of our hearts (Alma 29:4), how immensely important it is to "seek" the right things.
"If we have not chosen the kingdom of God, in the end it will not matter what we have chosen instead." (I can't remember who said that, but I love the quote)
Post a Comment