9/18/10

My Fun Job


I work with Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake's championship Major League soccer team. Here are some pics from the action.


I'm in charge of all of the photographers. Their intensity is really quite fun to partake. If your eyes wander from the field to the sidelines, you can still get a good idea of what's happening by watching the photographers. Their lenses, in concert, will pan the length of the field. The expressions on their faces are indicative of the state of play. I love it.


7 comments:

Katie Corley said...

What settings do you use when you are shooting sports? I tried to take pictures for my company's softball team and everything I tried came out blurry!

Unknown said...

How'd you get this job? Based on the thesis paper to the right, I wouldn't assume it to have been communications...

Chelise said...

@Katie- blurry pics are the bane of my existence! There are two ways I try it:

1. I start by taking a couple of movement pics in the automatic setting, then check what was used for the shutter speed. I set the shutter speed, and pic an iso that looks good. As the night draws on or lighting settings change, I manipulate to follow.

2. If you have a really nice lens (i.e. f/2.8), then I set it on the largest aperture and let the camera go crazy. But, seeing as my lens is a f/3.5, I usually follow step 1.

Chelise said...

@Jonathan

Howdy! Welcome back :). I am a chemical engineer by profession, but love photography and sports. I took my camera to one of the games, and got a couple (lucky) stellar shots. I took the photos to the media personnel, and made connections. From there I bolstered my way in. It's been an awesome experience!

Are you into photography?

Chelise said...

@Lloyd,

Thanks for checking out my blog. I read yours as well, and was impressed with your dedication to our Saviour. I loved the excerpt about your family and faith, and commitment to those as being the best two days of your life!

It's neat that your posts are directed to your faith and your experiences. It's refreshing to see and read from one who is keeping the commandments and bearing witness.

I'm excited, as you put it on your blog, to 'hear different viewpoints and welcome any positive comments.' Good to meet you :)

Austin said...

What a fun job. Congratulations and way to work yourself in.

Unknown said...

Chelise -

I love photography, and have always had an interest in it. However, the majority of my time behind a camera usually comes at Lake Powell with my Uncle's Nikon D3000 with a 300mm lense. I am, however, starting a yearbook/newspaper program with my students at my school, and am looking for tips to taking great pictures. We just got a couple point-n-shoot cameras, courtesy of the school, and I'm teaching my kids of my meager knowledge of photography. Any pointers?