I ventured to Arizona this weekend with my backpack, water filter, and sleeping bag to explore the heights. Instead, I ended up exploring the freak tendencies of Arizona's weather, beginning with a sandstorm anomaly known as a haboob. No, I'm not making this up. The word really is haboob, and it is a mini-Saharan surprise. 'Nation Now'reported it here. Visibility was no greater than 100 feet, and it was as near a white-out as an Idahoan snow storm
Due to the 4.5 hour sandstorm delay, I spent the better portion of the night driving, and took a couple of shots out my car window. Below is my interpretation of what it would look like if the sky were falling... because the fickle and volatile nature of Arizona's weather made me believe that anything could happen, especially the falling of the sky.
Next on the list of Arizona's indecisive decisions, I was caught in a hailstorm on top of Humphrey's Peak. The hail were little pellets the size of a pin-head, and dropped from the skies and bounced all over the ground. Because I took my camera on the mountain, and (sheepishly) left my parka in the car, I ran down the trail-- my jacked and hat were wrapped around the camera in an effort to save the ability to carry on one of my favorite past times- photography. I didn't dare take it out for a picture, but after I got to the car I did capture a little video...
Culmination: Peakish
Excepting a sandstorm, hailstorm, and 110 degree weather (see post here), Arizona treated me quite well, and I dare say I fancy my time spent. Below are a couple of pictures from Humphrey's Peak, the highest point in all of Arizona topping out at 12,637 feet in the Kachina Peaks Wilderness, Coconino National Forest.
| The sun rises over the meadow at the beginning of the climb to Humphrey's Peak summit. |
| The texture of moisture on a mountain rock. |
| Mushrooms the size of my hand! |
| Carrying on my mountain-top handstand tradition... a bit angled. |
| My newly found hiking buddy-- you'd hope it'd be a boy, wouldn't you! It did start the pet-cogs turning. Then they stopped. |
2 comments:
You take such amazing pictures. It almost makes Arizona look like an ideal place to live. Then you mentioned the heat, hail, and haboob.
Remember to change your air filter after the haboob.
How neat and adventurous. I love the photo where you're standing on your hands with the mountain backdrop.
Post a Comment