11/6/11

Pumping a Bike Tire: The Presta Problem

I've recently (finally!) starting to become a biking junkie.  I am the proud owner of my own bike, have taken her out for a couple of spins, and encountered... the flat tire.
Proudly and courageously I removed the tire and tried to pump, but to my embarrassing dismay, couldn't get the tire to hold any air.

I therefore introduce the three-sentence tutorial on using a presta valve adapter to pump up a road bike tire.  This is founded on the basis that your pump valve is actually a presta, and not a schrada... which you need to find out.

1.  Insert the pumping mechanism over a loosened presta valve with the handle down.
2.  Pull the handle up.  This initiates a locknut.
3.  Pump up your tire to the recommended pressure (found on the tire iteslf).
Not that tough, right.  Well, I didn't know the difference between a Presta and Schrader valve.  So my inflating experience took me ten minutes of searching on YouTube. 

No comments: