11/26/12

Black Friday Suit

I've never truly been shopping on Black Friday until this weekend- wherein I was completely overawed at the thousands of Californians who sport high heels at 1 am and run from store to store to store in anticipation of crazy deals.  J and I decided to throng the crowds and get a suit from Macy's for his upcoming law school interviews.

We waited on Thanksgiving evening outside the Macy's storefront for the midnight opening.  Good thing our if-you're-not-early-you're-late church skills were employed, because at 11:45 pm, were found ourselves at the front of the line, with probably two hundred people behind us.  Upon the unveiling of the door, we were pushed on all sides, and swept, quite literally, into the store.  There were retailers stationed with Christmas caps and lip-glossed smiles waiting patiently.  I must admit, I was overcome with the anticipation of it all, and joined in a little screech, and had a chipper step.  J later chided me and admitted that I'd almost caused him to run over a little child.  Alas!

After hours of comparing different pinstripes and shades of navy, purchasing and returning, and seeing a tailor for almost 1.5 hours (J was patient!), we finally left with a highly discounted receipt and to droppy smiles.  It was quite the adventure.

Even while I'm writing this, I recognize that I posted this before my actual Thanksgiving post, and still agree how awful it is that we spend one day counting all the things for which we are grateful, and then the entire evening shopping for that which we don't have.  It was just so astoundingly crazy, with the people and discounts and mad rushes and Christmas music and storefronts and disarray, that I had to write out a quick little blurb.

No comments: