2/21/13

Fulfillment of a Promise

"And what is it that ye shall hope for?  Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise. (Moroni 7:41)"
This scripture illustrates a principle which I've personally experienced, and of which I'd like to testify.  It's late so I'll be quick.  I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I attend sacrament meeting, and serve in the temple.  In each of these capacities, I witness first-hand the making of promises (covenants) with God.  One of the most basic promises which is renewed every week by partaking of the sacrament is that we can have the Holy Ghost to be our constant companion.

The Prophet Lorenzo Snow said that the Holy Ghost "partakes of the things of God and shows them unto us."  He also said that ,
"If we keep the light of the Spirit within us, we can so walk in the gospel that we can measurably enjoy peace and happiness in this world; and while we are traveling onward, striving for peace and happiness that lies in our path, in the distance, we shall have a peace of mind that none can enjoy but those who are filled with the Holy Spirit. (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow, p. 76-77)"

How are promises and the Holy Ghost related?  A recent experience has brought further personal understanding of the answer to this question.

Many years ago I was given a specific promise in a priesthood blessing from my Father.  I was promised that I would graduate with my degree.  At the time, the promise was a great comfort, as graduation was something which I greatly desired.  I have worked consistently to fulfill the promise, but it seemed too miraculous an occurrence to come to pass.  Nonetheless, year in and year out, I've worked.  In the past year, this fulfillment of my promise has, at great effort, come closer and closer to fruition.  It is on the horizon for me.  Through a series of meticulously knitted miracles, I am a...drumroll... graduate student!

Part of the graduation requirements include passing a 'Preliminary Exam,' which is an arduous oral examination on an assigned technical topic, of which I was expected to have minimal previous exposure.  I was given two weeks to understand anything and everything related to the topic, and then present my findings, and field questions from a board of professors.

The two weeks allocated for preparation (my assigned topic was extracting renewable energy from a salinity difference using a capacitor) included three large midterms, classes, homework assignments, Valentine's Day, outside work and service activities, and the like.  At the beginning of my illustrious two weeks, I was thoroughly overwhelmed in every way.  I, pathetically, cried when I saw my topic.  I cried again as I started to investigate.  I knew there was no way I could master the material.

Something happened.  I was made starkly aware of not only my physical limitations on time and energy, but also my intellectual limitations in terms of mastering material (you try to derive the Poisson-Boltzmann equation from first principles!) I lieu of this recognition, I was brought humbly to my knees, over and over. I needed the Spirit of the Lord to accomplish the task before me.  I knew that because I had been promised, there would be a fulfillment.  To graduate, I had to pass the Preliminary Exam.  So, I prayed for the capacity to work as much as necessary, and for the enlightenment that must come to learn the material.

Having faith in the promise from the Lord caused a huge paradigm shift, albeit a difficult one.  Each time I became overwhelmed I thought about the Lord fulfilling His promises.  Each time I didn't understand a difficult concept, and had to attempt to understand it, I thought about the Lord fulfilling His promises. Looking back, I realized I thought all the time about the Lord fulfilling His promises.

So, bolstered by my faith in the Lord's ability to fulfill His promises, I worked as hard as I could.  My weeks were a constant prayer, and an earnest one at that.  In response, and absolutely miraculously, I felt my mind being enlightened.  My capacity to concentrate and focus was increased.  I would work out concepts in my mind with a fantastic fluidity.  I found technical articles that specifically addressed questions I had.  My days were filled with a flurry of thought and constant application of understanding.  My studies for my midterms was enhanced, even late at night.  I was able to turn from a rigorous study of one topic to a rigorous study of another with no reprieve. While I was cleaning the church house, driving to school, or tutoring students, I would be thinking and learning.

Today I completed my Preliminary Exam.  I have yet to receive the results, but I did my best; I believe it was enough.  Completion of the Exam is a huge step in my scholastic progress.  During this process, including the years of preparation, the months of schooling, and the weeks of preparation, I have learned one thing over and over and over.  When the Lord makes a promise, he prepares a way for the fulfillment of said promise.  It is because of the Holy Ghost, and the merciful inspiration and power endowed by the Lord that I made it through the past two weeks.  I originally thought it impossible- and it wasn't.  I am grateful beyond measure that I was willing to believe in the promises the Lord has given me, that I was able to work, and see the commensurate outpouring of inspiration from the Lord.  My performance on my midterms and Preliminary Exams are due entirely to His generous Spirit.

Now, on to the next (and even more important) promise made in that same blessing...

In short- if the Lord keeps a promise made to me, it naturally follows that He keeps all His promises.  Believe that the Lord's promises will come to pass.  Work to bring about His promises.  It is a beautiful thing.  All promises will be kept, if we keep the conditions.  What unbelievable joy and power come from this knowledge!

No comments: