It documents the need for the development of strong character and moral fiber, and discusses our need to be clean before the Lord. I particularly loved the lesson, because it was not a 'self-help' or 'make-yourself-better-by-trying-harder' lesson which so frequently attends character-building discussions. Instead, it shows how character is an essential part of the Gospel, and how living the Gospel builds character.
"The Lord wishes to establish a closer and more intimate relationship between Himself and us; He wishes to elevate us in the scale of being and intelligence, and this can only be doen through the medium of the everlasting Gospel which is specially prepared for this purpose. Says the Apostle John: "Ever man that has this hop in him purifieth himself, even as He (Christ) is pure." [1 John 3:3]. Are the Latter-day Saints applying the principles of the Gospel to their lives, and thus accomplishing the design of God?"I know as I've tried to develop my righteousness, and consequently my character, I've encountered difficulties, as have we all. With that in mind, the following statement by President Snow is overwhelmingly powerful for me, and at the same time, incredibly affirming of the efforts expended.
"Our character, as Latter-day Saints, should be preserved inviolate, at whatever cost or sacrifice. Character, approved of God is worth securing, even at the expense of a life-time of constant self-denial."
No comments:
Post a Comment