9/3/08

Mexican Accident-Prone

ATV's: A Mistake?
We rented ATV's (4 -Wheelers) for a traveling tour through the Mexican rainforest. We were laden with sweaty goggles, orange plastic helmets, and the traditional bandit-handkerchief to save our lungs from Mexican dirt-contamination.

It was my second time steering such a beast- when the time came to split into two groups (advanced and intermediate) I smiled and told the guide in Spanish how I love to drive fast! I was shot into the advanced group. We rode past a huge herd of cattle driven by the original cowboys: hats, guns, horses, and all. This movie is the tail end of the action.


Trying to pose for the photographer, I attempted a 'Russian' (splits in the air with your body supported on the handlebars) through a mud puddle after some hefty acceleration to 20mph. Needless to say, I've decided that a barbed wire fence is no substitute for a landing pad. I paid out $150 dollars in damage (in Mexico no less!)!

We stopped in a town for refueling, and I sat and watched this window. A hand held the metal bars for 5 minutes; I pulled out my camera and took a snapshot as we drove away. It wasn't until I downloaded my pictures that I saw the young boy had looked as I snapped.

No comments: