The more acquainted with humanity I become, the more I bemoan the loss of incidentally and accidentally imposed unkindness. In far too many cases, people intentionally harm, intentionally manipulate, and intentionally break. To acquiesce to my changing point of view, I pawn another person's indecent actions off on a weak and natural human inclination: 2. selfishness. I've heard this excuse from many a person- I was only thinking about myself; I didn't consider how you would feel, etc.
But in all actuality, almost on a daily basis we're abused or hurt completely intentionally. No thought is given by a perpetrator to the consequence of an action, and they 3. don't care even if they did think about it. What are we to do in such a situation? Truthfully, how does one handle the crushing pain of being, well, used? How does one accept reality without hoarding a load of offenses?
A study of Alma's actions provides some esperancizing insight. He, as a post-chief judge and current high priest, was spit upon, reviled against, and cast out by the Ammonihahite people. While traveling away from the city, most likely in a disparaging moment of self-reflection, we are privy to Alma's ruminescence: he was
weighed down with much sorrow, wading thorugh much tribulation and anguish of soul, because of the wickedness of the people... (Alma 8:14)'He didn't curse those who had offended him- purposefully, raucously, tauntingly, and physically- he considered after their state. He even turned around, 'speedily,' to give them another opportunity to change their wicked status.
So, when I have been hurt by someone, acting with full intention and complete understanding of the pain it would cause, what should I do? Love :)
1 comment:
Truly darling that is a question not easily answered but as Christ hung from the cross he plead for the very men who had whipped and crucified him, "forgive them Father for they know not what they do" truly they knew he would die they understood what they were doing in the present physical state they were in, but they truly had no idea as to how their actions had an Eternal consequence a matter of character if you will Christ proved his by forgiving completely and if they were to repent then they would receive all that the Father hath, Even until 7x70 times we are to harbor no ill feelings or resentments, my constant prayer is that I can live in such a way and Love as Gods Love.
Post a Comment