All men are created equal

Alma 1 contains some interesting guidelines concerning the ethical and spiritual dimensions of equality. The basis for interpretation is a people who 1. are immovable in keeping the commandments, 2. bore with patience the persecution which was heaped upon them, and 3. they labored with diligence, every man according to his strength. (First key: having freedom and equality doesn't mean one won't be persecuted)
Proper display of equality includes the responsibility of persons who have more to impart with persons who have less. The appropriate method of distribution is based on need only. Specifically, it is necessary to be liberal with all, having no respect to persons as to those who stand in need. Additionally, for crimes committed, every man must suffer according to that which he does (aka- moral responsibility).

Does such liberality conclude that we give based on need, not on status, social grace, or previous financial problems? Does this imply that if a man is sitting on the ground, holding a sign asking for money, potentially faking ineptitude, that we give because he has a need? Without reading in between the lines, I believe so.
3 comments:
Chelise, hi, I'm subscribed to your blog. I think you're beautiful in a most comprehensive way. I'm writing an essay about education equality right now as part of my Teach for America application. I like the way you think and express yourself and think if we were in the same place again we would be great friends. :)
PS--Here is one of my thoughts. Who are we to decide who receives the title of "deserving"?
That's wonderful you're doing Teach for America! I think we would be great friends. I've read over your blog, and love your thoughts. Isn't it such a great world out there!
Post a Comment