1/19/09

Today at El Gimnasio

This morning was my third 'spin class' at the gym. I'm totally amazed at how much I LOVE biking! After a couple of pointers regarding proper riding posture, I'm not so intimidated at the sport where I was a pathetic competitor.

Let me pass some pointers along:
  • Lead with your HEELS. Not your toes, not even the ball of your foot. If you lead with your heels, then you have your full body weight in addition to gravity to push down against the pedal. Plus, leading with your heels relieves pressure off your knees, which I need!
  • Pull up with your HEELS. Bike riders where shoes that 'clip in' to their pedals, allowing them to pull up and push down. Double time baby!
  • Keep your back strait and LOW. Low as in 'bring-your-chest-to-the-handlebars' and maintain a strait back.
  • Handlebars are for balance, not support. To encourage this, I tap the palms of my hands on the handlebars when I lose my posture.
  • Keep your derriere over your seat, even when you're not in a seated position. When standing or crouching in sprint position, your backside is ALWAYS over the seat.
I've attached a picture of the perfect man- the perfect bike-riding man, that is! Notice his back, derriere placement, cocked head, and determined personality (maybe that's reading too much into a drawing).

No comments: