2/18/09

Meek

President Maxwell gave a devotional address entitled 'Meekly Drenched In Destiny.'  It is a necessary addition to any gospel collection.  In his address, Maxwell makes the following ingenious and TRUE statement:
It is quite understandable, brothers and sisters, that we admire boldness and genius as we see these qualities convinced in some of the great figures in history. A merciful God has let such individuals make their significant contributions to humanity, such as in the political and economic realms. I cannot help but wonder, however, what more God might have done with such individuals if they had been sufficiently and consistently meek.
One significantly ignominious quirk I've habited is an insatiable attraction to excellence- which I often interpreted as accolade, power, or attainment.  I'm considering a range of job opportunities, and I can't help but admit how, in the most dire of ways, I want to accept those positions of immutable excellence- pay, prestige, and influence.  At the same time, I'm a bit dampened toward certain opportunities because I'm spiritually constrained.  How difficult a choice it is, to have faith in the Lord that I'll be satisfied with, as Pres. Hoover coined, normalcy (yesterday was President's Day- I had to put in a plug).  But, in faith, I'm satisfied that spiritual power is more important than any other form of power. And you'd better believe that I'll use every form of strength and stubbornness I possess to gain spiritual power- and consequently develop meekness.  I'll let myself be used of the Lord rather than my own personal desires.  I will.  Just wait and see.

No comments: