Entering the vaulted ceilings of our cement gym, with barren basketball hoops and mini-bleachers, I made a promise to myself. I committed to never speak ill, nor solicit or advertise gossip of any person. As a tall blonde with red and blue rubber bands on my braces, I was true to my self-promise through my graduation day of high school. Situations would arise, but my stalor persisted. Referencing this experience many months ago, I decided to apply the learned application to the practice of hope. This weekend I was reminded of my new habit.
Pursuing hope seems the sylar journey of sages, a forgotten ether of chivalry or foolishness, but I've found it most fulfilling. Indeed, Paul tells us "And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end (Hebrew 6:11)." I try to consciously make an effort to choose hope when presented with despair.
The impact of above determination has transformed an aspect of my faith- crosses can be mastered with the accompaniment of the Spirit of the Lord. My Saviour is the master of miracles, and the facilitator of deliverance. We can be delivered from despair when we practice hope. President Utchdorf, in his General Conference address entitled The Infinite Power of Hope, made the following statement,
"Hope is a gift of the Spirit. It is a hope that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the power of His Resurrection, we shall be raised unto life eternal and this because of our faith in the Savior. This kind of hope is both a principle of promise as well as a commandment, and, as with all commandments, we have the responsibility to make it an active part of our lives and overcome the temptation to lose hope."The following is a dandy of a poem,
HOPE
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,And sweetest in the gale is heard;
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
-Emily Dickinson

3 comments:
Chelise -
You don't know me, but I came across your blog a couple years ago while scouring Google for information on training for a triathlon. I believe at the time it was something about your diet, and what you had been eating to prepare for some upcoming event.
Anyhow, when I had finished reading that post, I continued to look through your blog and I was really impressed with the rest of your posts - of your activity to participate in so many aspects of life so fully, to keep your family and the gospel in such great focus while still being so diverse.
I continue to check in every other month or so when I feel I need a little inspiration, and your posts have yet to fail. I really appreciated this latest one on Hope, and felt I needed to tell you so. Thanks again, and keep it up!
Lees,
Thanks, I love your perspective on hope. We can always use a reminder to be hopeful. Your life of goodness gives me hope!
That awesome i really love your blog nice colors.
buy-tools.blogspot.com
Post a Comment