8/27/10

The Testimony of a Scientist

As I grow in knowledge of the goodness and workings of my Lord, I'm amazed at the congruent meshing of my faith and 'formal' education. They serve to enhance and bolster one another. I'm reminded of a philosophic discourse written by Boethius in 524AD,The Consolation of Philosophy. It was written during his one-year imprisonment preceding his excecution. In it, Lady Philosophy (in classical Dantesque style) visits him during his bondage, offering him philosophical consolation concerning the tension between good and evil in the world (among other things). Below is an excerpt from Book 3, Prose 12.
"(Speaking of the world being ruled by God...) I still have no doubt about it, and never will, for these reasons: This world could never have achieved its unity of form from such different and contrary parts unless there were One who could bring together such diverse things, and once this union was effected, the very diversity of discordant and opposed natures would have ripped it apart and destroyed it, if there were not one who could sustain what he had made. Nor could the stable order of nature continue, nor its motions be so regular in place time, causality, space and quality, unless there were One who could govern this variety of change while remaining immutable Himself. This power, whatever it may be, by which created things are sustained and kept in motion, I call by the name which all men use, God."

The Eyes of the Saviour, Pavel Korin, 1932

1 comment:

vdg family said...

Chelise: I love how you think so deeply about things and then you have a unique ability to be able to write them out. :D