8/4/10

The Timpanogos Tragedy

What would you know- I had an urge for hiking, and Mom stepped up to be my hiking buddy! I believe there isn't anything my Mommer isn't able to accomplish. She's the vestibule of adventure! We prepped by visiting REI for some bonafide hiking boots. Mom is the first VDG with 'official' hiking shoes (pictured below).
We took off at the Timpanooke trailhead, after posing in picturesque 'Grandpa style' with biceps bare. We affectionately refer to Grandpa Ottesen as the 'white hunter,' for his many escapades, numbering over fifteen, to the summit of Timpanogos. (I also remember him offering to pay me a dollar if I could spell Timpanogos on the spot)

One of the eye delicacies of Mount Timpanogos during early autumn are the wildflower meadows. Every girl needs a picture of frolicking in a field of flowers! We sat and marveled for a couple of minutes at the ebb and flow of the expanse; I fancied that meadows of white flowers seem to be celestial orbs caught in the height of their twinkle. They flit from the midnight blackness down to the first earth they encounter- a mountainside. Fixed, they mirror the splendor of their heavenly parents with a similar emittance of light; they twinkle during the day.

"HYDRATION IS KEY"

After crossing a small stream, Mom and I chanced upon an older gentleman with a border collie suffering from severe dehydration and heat stroke. Except for the rattled breath escaping his throat, we took him for dead. The pup, Banjo, was beloved of his owner, who was quite clearly in a state of shock. We offered to help transport Banjo down the hill, thereby increasing his access to help and his chances of survival. It was a 45-minute hike down the 2.5 miles to the trailhead, and the air-conditioned back of a red RAV4. We're still waiting to hear about the final outcome.

I feel our meeting Banjo and his owner was no coincidence. I had planned to hike the Timpanogos summit through the night, which fell through. We were delayed in our initial leaving, and started the trail at the perfect timing to help the gentleman. From what emergency medicine classes I've taken, it was apparent that Banjo was very near to death. Indeed, multiple times along the trail we had to stop and administer water, trying to revive his self-controlled breathing. If we had not been there, I'm afraid Banjo would have died, necessitating his owner carrying him off the hill himself (for which he was in no condition-the pup was heavy!). It is a mercy of the Lord of mercies that we were put together at such timing. I believe the Lord's hand is manifest in the extremities of our lives- either in granting mercy, or guiding us to provide help. I feel it a blessing that we were able to help.

3 comments:

Austin said...

What a saint!

Michael and Tiffany Egbert said...

Now you are a dog saver. You have done everything in life. Goodness!

Joe and Kristin Family said...

I really like the picture of the hiking boot. Creative.

Way to save the day and to save the dog.

Joe & Kristin