In his Autobiographical Notes, Einstein recounted some of his musings on his journey through developing his mind and his academic philosophy. He discusses the first time he encountered skepticism, at the remarkably tender age of twelve. The affect of skepticism on Einstein's thinking was meekly familiar to me, albeit my development of skepticism came later in life, during my college years.
Through extensive academic study and an exposure to the theories, I was a bit smug in my accumulation of thoughts and their application. It was easy to apply my well-loved and carefully groomed thoughts to everyday experiences- why a road over a bridge is bumpy; the hockey-stick of global warming; variation in the size of raindrops and their motion in the wind; the affects of putting ice on a sidewalk. I had a million little compartments from which I could pull at any moment, and which would pop out of my mouth at the smallest calling. It was a joy, and in a way, a constant companion. I could go for a walk and my thoughts would overflow, keeping me warmly in the most interesting of company. Over time, and with further education, I learned what every true academic must learn- that intellect, theories, and intelligence is never compartmentalized. Application of learning applies to every aspect of life, which by consequence extends to every form of thought or intelligence. In some cases, skepticism can be the bridge that connects thought to thought, and if traveled in high enough frequency, it's route is increasingly less treacherous. Intelligence does not exist independent of other intelligence, and we must dare to plunge from one pool to the next. This type of reckless abandonment of certain principles, based on skepticism with long-held beliefs, was the birthing place of quantum mechanics, for example.
I take this medium, here, to place a word of caution to the intellectual skepticism which all must inevitable encounter in some form or another. On the topic of religion, and in particular my religion, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we must never apply extended destructive skepticism to the teachings of modern-day prophets nor in complying with the commandments of Jesus Christ. Skepticism is a necessary tool to receive revelation, but when revelation is received it is to be followed. If revelation has been received as to the verity of a commandment or principle, it must be applied in ones life. Therefore, skepticism can hatch a firmness of righteousness. When knowledge of correctness is received, t is to be followed.
Enough of my dialogue, next are some of Einstein's words that I enjoyed. Keep the wonder alive!
...For me it is not dubious that our thinking goes on for the most part without use of signs (words) and beyond that to a considerable degree unconsciously. For how, otherwise, should it happen that sometimes we 'wonder' quite spontaneously about some experience? This 'wondering' seems to occur when an experiment comes into conflict with a world of concepts which is already sufficiently fixed in us. Whenever such a conflict is experienced hard and intensively it reacts back upon our though would in a decisive way. The development of this thought world is in a certain sense a continuous flight from 'wonder.' (Einstein, Autobiographical Notes, (1949) translated form the original German manuscript bu Paul Arthur Schilpp)
5 comments:
That is really cool! You should write a book. I would read it.
Thanks Robby, I'm glad you liked it. Your comment just made my day!
Do you mean quizzical or whimsical? Love you Chelise!
We all need to read a good book more often! Don't you just love when floods of interesting thoughts fill your mind. Learning can be such an exciting adventure. I love how mommers says always to carry a good with you and you'll be surprised how much you can read! Love you CC and miss you!!!!!! Keep writing girl
ps. the kids are just about both asleep and reading your blog and commenting was the very first thing I did... that says a lot :) you are amazing!
Post a Comment