9/15/12

Assuaging a Goodbye through Love: Emily

 Emily and I are in the same LDS church, and attend our branch together.  Through a series of my house moves, she has also become my next door neighbor.  She has a lovely spirit, and we have served for a year and a half together as Visiting Teachers (where we intentionally and prayerfully develop friendships with other members who attend our church).  Emily has the most tender of hearts, and we've become close.  My impending absence has caused her to leave during our meetings at church and weep in the hallway.  I expect that her kind grief will grow after I have left.

I spent time writing her notes to be opened before church the next couple of weeks to assuage her grief, and empower her with actions she can do if she feels sad.  I thought I'd include them here.  I attempted to apply the concept I've learned at various stages of my life when I deal with grief- don't let grief consume you; instead, serve others and trust the Lord.  The concepts in the letters may be elementary, but I love them nonetheless.

Letter 1
Emily,
It's my first week away from the branch, and I'll be thinking about you with a smile.  If you are in church today and think about me, I want you to do your very best to SMILE your beautiful smile... BIG!  A smile instead of tears is good because every time I think of you, I'm happy!  You make me happy.

Letter 2
Emily, 
How have you been this week?  I hope you had a great time at the Adventure Center.  Jesus said, "If you love me, feed my sheep."  Sheep can be people at church, and you can feed them by being kind. You are a very, very kind person, and you can be kind to other people at church.  This Sunday, I'm going to try to talk to people at church and be kind to them.  Let's do this together.  If you feel sad or miss me, try to talk to someone at church and be kind.  That way, we'll both being doing the same thing together, as friends!

Letter 3
Emily,
Hello!  Today is the last day of the month-I'm sure you did your visiting teaching.  This Sunday, I'll remember that you are the best visiting teaching companion I've ever had.  Your new companion is a lucky sister to teach with you.  Today at church if you think of me, I want you to think of ways you can serve the people you visit teach.  This will make you happy.  Then you can serve more, which you're good at!

Letter 4
Emily,
Happy Sunday!  Today is fast and testimony meeting, where we can feel the Spirit.  I remember once when you bore your testimony about Christ, and I loved it.  Today you can ask Heavenly Father to send His Spirit to be with you you.  The Spirit can help you remember how much I love you.  This will help you to be happy.  Don't cry.  Instead pray for the Spirit, and it will come.  I'll pray for you too!

Letter 5
Emily,
This is my last Sunday letter.  I wish I could write more.  I want you to always remember that Heavenly Father loves you, and I love you.  You are a special daughter of Heavenly Father, and have a Spirit and personality that brings peace to others.  Thank you for being my dear friend.

1 comment:

Worton said...

This is so sweet! I hope you are doing well in California. You are a wonderful girl and it's fun to check out your blog every now and then and see what you are doing. Good luck with school! RaKell Worton