3/24/10

Calo Flamenco

Brigham Young University hosted the Cal Flamenco Dance Company, whose specialty is... you guess it... flamenco!

My previous understanding of flamenco was dark-haired women yielding castinets between their thumb and forefinger and a graceful display of wrist movement. Flamenco is much more.

First. Accompanying the dancers were an authentic Spanish band- violin, bass and treble guitar, a wooden percussion box and symbols, and the iconic Spanish singer. Palmero was also included- a hand-clapping that kept tight and strict rhythm.

The guitarist was of a surety classically trained, picking only with his fingers. His right hand would move at such a fast rate it became almost a fuzzy vibration from my vantage point. AMAZING. He has runs up and down the guitar throat, and his tone increased as needed by the intensity of the dancing.

Second. The dancers weren't all female. In fact, the best dancer was male (see pics below). Flamenco is a beat-oriented dance. Few fast spins, but several sweeping gyrations in a vertical circle. Their hands were never stationary, but always tendered at graceful angles. The most enthralling aspect was the
tapping.

All dancers had what appeared to be wooden heels of 2 inch height, which they used like tap-dance shoes. They'd create symbiotic rhythms. At times, their feet would move so quickly I forgot I even had a camera. Their upper body would be perfectly stationary, and the knees would blur at the perfect sound. Also stunning was the endurance of the dancers. Their numbers would extend 8-15 minutes in length, longer than anything I've danced. It was brutally physical, with taunt muscles seeming to bear no stress. The only indication of the difficulty was the sweat (dripping, at times) from their brow.

I'm afraid I have no words to describe the combination of cultural consistency in music and dance, with the mellow and drawn Spanish voice and guitar.

1 comment:

vdg family said...

How fun! I just checked my messages this morning. Sorry I didn't call you back. I didn't know you needed to know that night. We love you!