5/12/12

Hiking Yerba Canyon Trail

 Upon learning work would send me to New Mexico, the first thing I searched was for the tallest peak.  It's Wheelers Peak, towering 13,161feet, it boasts a higher elevation than Borah, Idaho's home jewel.  Upon arriving in Taos, NM, I was thoroughly disappointed to find that the week before my arrival had dumped from 6-10 inches of snow on my destination.

Deterred by a lack of proper climbing gear, I hit a dandy of a trail in the vicinity, Yerba Canyon trail.  Nine miles round trip, with about 1,000 feet of elevation gain per mile.  To prepare, I duct-taped my recently lost toenail, pulled on my jacket and camelback, and hit the trail early.

The first mile included several stream crossings- except the little stream had outgrown its banks and swelled with May snowmelt.  Several stream-crossings turned into stream-jumpings and stream-luchings.  At near 10,500 ft, snow was tickling the ground, and by 11,500 I was into 3-4 inches of snow with my measly running shoes.  With the incoming fog and slight alpine rains, I was forced to heed safety and turn back just a half mile from the top.  Conquering both Yerba and Wheeler have raised substantially on my bucket list.  Just wait...
I lost my toenail in an accident earlier during the weak, and left it to handy-dandy duct tape to save the day.


 
The trail I'd just traversed, and would turn back around and speed down to avoid the rain.
 

Freezing on the trail
A mini-hike on a different trail the previous day.

1 comment:

Michael and Tiffany Egbert said...

Way cool. Good thing it was pink duct tape. How did you get the picture of you jumping? You are so ambitious Leesy! Love you!!