The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has restored the Lord's ancient Law of Tithing (see Genesis 14:18-20, Lev. 27:30-34. etc.). It is formally and specifically declared in Doctrine and Covenants 119, where members
"...shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord (D&C 119:4)."
This post is a simple statement of personal testimony that the Law of the Tithe is indeed a Law of God, and like all his Laws, when kept, the keeper is sanctified and the windows of heaven are opened.
| Sis. A.- a woman of remarkable faith and generosity. She opened her home to me when I needed somewhere to stay. |
First, a little background.
I quite my job early this year to begin graduate studies as a full-time student. This meant, of course, that I'd be living like a full-time student on a full-time student's pay scale, i.e., next to nothing. I determined to pay a full and honest tithe, and after my determination, began to actively look for the ways in which the Lord's hand would be manifest.
- HOUSING. On a next-to-nothing budget, even the most meager of housing arrangements is a burden. I prayed and searched for several months to find an amenable housing situation, and nothing was coming up. Of course there were cheap places to live, and I even found an occasional hobo-spot next to the river where my sleeping bag would have fit nicely (don't tell Mom!), but I wanted a situation wherein I would be safe, fully productive, and could still feel the spirit. The A's generously opened their beautiful home to me for the summer. I love them. I learned about having a normal mealtime, the value of a beautiful and clean home, and witnessed their mature and kind marriage relationship. Not only was the housing a miracle, but living with them was a miracle. They are beautiful and generous in every way.
- GARDEN. J and I planted a garden, and it was bounteous to say the least. I ate ripe tomatoes and peppers for days. Our harvest was great.
- FOOD FALLING FROM THE SKY. On one particularly money-strapped morning, I went for a run. I'd been in prayer about what I was going to do concerning food. I was quite a bit hungry, and thought about tantalizing foods the entirety of my workout. (You can tell it wasn't a particularly fruitful run if I was day-dreaming the whole time!) On the last leg of my run, I altered my normal route and opted for a thin, shaded trail. To my surprise, I stumbled upon apples littering my path. Ripe, bulging, green apples the size of my fist, free-standing in an alcove next to the river. I was overjoyed, and immediately fell to my knees. It was the perfect gift, strait from heaven. I spent the next ten minutes picking apples, and ran home with my arms loaded.
- TEMPLE. One of the ultimate gifts associated with paying a full-tithe is the qualification to enter the House of the Lord. This blessing has further sanctified my faith, and has set a habit of consistent temple attendance to which I will adhere the duration of my life.
- LIVING ON THE 90 PERCENT. The Prophet George Albert Smith made the following statement, "If you have paid an honest tithing, I may say without hesitation the other nine-tenths has been a greater blessing to those who have paid than the one hundred percent has been to those who have not. It is the Lord's work... Men could not have done this. With all your generosity and all your giving, all your missionary work, with your care of the poos,... with all that you have been giving as ordinary people, I testify that what you have left brings to you more happiness, more peace, more comfort, and more assurance of eternal life than any other people in the world enjoy today (CR Apr. 1948, 16-18)."
Having lived on the 90% after paying a full tithe, I saw the fulfillment of President Smith's declaration. Not only have I been the witness of many miracles, but the temptations of worldliness are being uprooted from my soul. I'm amazed that I have the willpower to say 'no' to things that would be nice to purchase in favor of living within a budget.. Certain scales of fashion concerns or economic haughtiness are falling from my heart. I am living with much greater happiness than I would otherwise have experienced.
No comments:
Post a Comment