4/23/13

Marriage: Watch and Learn


Doctrine and Covenants 25:13 states,
"Wherefore, lift up your heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made."
Marriage is a covenant into which I will soon enter, and I am trying to prepare to beholden it's sacredness, and appreciate it's blessings. Therefore, as part of my preparation for marriage (in just over three months!!), I'm spending time learning the doctrines taught by our prophets and apostles, and in the holy write, concerning marriage and the marriage covenant.  I'm going to attempt to document some small snippets as I learn them.

Tonight's study is from our most recent General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, given by Elder L. Whitney Clayton titled Marriage: Watch and Learn.

I find this title both appropriate and fascinating, as a fundamental aspect of marriage is the willingness to learn, and consistently learn, about our spouse and better and proper ways to develop one's relationship.  We can't learn if we don't watch.  Also interestingly, we each bring emotional or physical tendencies into relationships that can be unhealthy or which may cause contention, and like Elder Clayton explains, one of the best ways I've found to determine if my actions or habits are appropriate is to learn about and mirror exemplary relationships.

Five Principles of a Wonderful, Faithful, and Happy Marriage

  1. Marriage Worth: Husband and wife consider their relationship to be a pearl beyond price, a treasure of infinite worth.
  2. Faith: Husband and wife's mutual quest is to be obedient and good. "Faith is the foundation of every virtue that strengthens marriage."
  3. Repentance and Humility: Humility recognizes that no one can change someone else, but with faith, effort, and the help of God, we can undergo our own mighty change of heart.
  4. Respect: Marriages are a cooperation, not a negotiation, and loyalty is a form of respect.
  5. Love: "Live together in love."

No comments: